Every year I try to enhance the art room. Over the years I have changed my room by:
- writing grants for bookshelves for our art library
- pursuading Mr. Thomas to have a real wall installed where there used to be a folding wall to eliminate noise from the cafeteria
- writing a grant for a table and a rug
- pursuading Mr. Thomas to move the stove and refrigerator out of my room to make more space for students.
- converting an “office” in my room into a storage space
This weekend my daughter, Maya, and I painted the tops of the stools! It’s amazing how a fresh coat of paint can really clean up and brighten a room. Sometimes I call the tables by colors (indicated by a tissue paper flower hung above the table) so we painted the seats to match!
The next improvement I hope to make is a mural! There is one large white wall that is just calling for a painting. I’m not sure if I should paint it myself, commission an artist, or have the kids create it. I am leaning towards a collaboration between the students and myself. I’m open to suggestions, feel free to leave a post.